1940 Chevy 2dr Sedan
I purchased car May, 2001 with suspension and drive train already in. Powered by a SB 305 cu.in. Chevy TPI, and geared with a 700R Auto Transmission and a Nova rearend (Drum brakes). Sprung with a Mustang II front end (disc brakes) and shod with 15 inch American wheels. Car was white and in need of a lot of work. Dents, rust, rot, glass and of course paint. Sept. 2001 I began to take on a project which turned out to be more than I anticipated. I completed the project Dec. 2002. All work was done at my brothers body shop, DMZ Auto Body in Bayshore, NY. I did the majority of work myself, usually 4 to 5 days a week for 5 to 6 hours per day.
What was Done
- Engine � Chrome valve covers installed. Cover plate for distributor painted color of car. Radiator stripped and brass polished
- Paint � 1985 GM � Autumn Maple Firemist � PPG � DBU color/clear coat Paint was applied by good friend Tony Fronzoni.
- All glass was removed and replaced with bronze tinted safety glass. I had glass cut and installed myself.
- Front and rear fenders were bolted on. They were removed, refurbished and welded back on and molded in. Also the wheel wells were flared with tubing and molded in.
- Hood, center seam, two piece hood welded up and hand fabricated scoops made and installed. Scoops are functional. Nose was shaved of emblems and hood ornament.
- Both doors had to have major repair work on bottoms and hinges had to be made stronger. Top corners of door edges were rounded.
- Roof � rust repaired around front and rear windows. Drip rails shaved off.
- Front and rear bumpers removed and bumper/roll pans fabricated with frenched license plate units. Front bumper has turn signal lights.
- Rear � 1941 chevy taillights frenched in. Scoops inserted just behind rear wheels. Antenna shaft frenched into top of quarter panel. Also gas filler neck, rear right fender, removed and replaced with smooth contoured hindged lid.
- Trunk Lid � Shaved of license plate bracket, lift handle and license plate light. Lid completely smooth and hand fabricated lift handle installed.
- Headlights and signal lights removed from front fenders. Headlights were relocated by moving them outward 5 inches and set down into fenders. Also the tail of the bullet shaped headlight was made 20 inches longer following the curve of the fender. Makes the front of car look wider and the fenders don�t look so plain. Headlights were frenched in using kit from Hagans.
- Dash board was stripped, molded in for smooth look and painted the color of the car. The rest of interior is black cloth in good shape and has not been done over yet. All of the window cranks and handles replaced with custom chrome.
Islip Terrace, New York